Dum aloo recipe in instant pot | Dhaba style dum aloo with detailed photo and video recipe – Dum Aloo is a Indian curry made with baby potatoes that are simmered in onion and tomato based gravy, spiced perfectly with red chili pepper, garam masala, and garnished with dried fenugreek leaves.
Potatoes are a staple food in many households. Most people love potatoes because it is incredibly versatile and can be cooked in countless ways from baked to boiled, steamed, mashed, or fried.
Among all the varieties, my favorite way to eat a potato is when it’s cooked in a curry and not just any curry, it has to be Dum Aloo curry.
What does DUM ALOO mean:
The word ‘Dum‘ means ‘air-cooked or baked under pressure’ and ‘Aloo‘ means Potatoes.
The term belongs to the cooking technique Dum Pukht where dum means ‘air-cooked or baked’ and Pukht means ‘cook’.
This method of cooking dates back hundreds of years. In this method, veggies or meats secret their juices into the dish resulting in a rich and fragrant dish.
Dum Aloo Variations
Kashmiri Dum Aloo – the potatoes are deep fried and cooked with dry spices without any ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes or cream but just enough spices to coat the potatoes.
Bengali Dum Aloo – the potatoes are cooked in mustard oil which enhances the flavors in an onion, tomato, garlic and yogurt gravy.
South Indian Dum Aloo – the potatoes are cooked with curry leaves, ginger in an onion tomato gravy.
Mughlai Dum Aloo – the potatoes are cooked in an onion tomato gravy which is thickened with poppy seeds.
Stuffed Dum Aloo – the potatoes are stuffed with paneer and cooked in an onion tomato gravy
Punjabi Dum Aloo – this preparation is the restaurant style preparation, where the potatoes are cooked in an onion tomato gravy, ginger garlic gravy and thickened with either a cashew paste or cream.
Dum aloo recipe with detailed video recipe :
Dum aloo recipe card:
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make dum aloo curry in instant pot with step by step :
1.Add water, potatoes and salt to instant pot .
2. Close the Instant Pot, set on manual/pressure cook(Hi) for 3 minutes followed by Quick Release.
3. Remove the potatoes , after cool down the temperature, remove the skin of potatoes.
4. Using fork, poke holes on potatoes and keep aside.
1.Take a fry pan, add oil.
2. Once oil is hot, add cubed onions, red chilies, ginger garlic paste and salt. Saute for 5 -6 min on low heat.
3. Then add tomato puree and cook for 5 -6 mins on low heat.
4. Remove from heat and let it cool compleltely.
5. Transfer into blender and blend into smooth paste.
Preparing dum aloo preparation
1.Add oil to instant pot . Keep the instant pot to saute mode
2. Once oil is hot add boiled potatoes and fry one by one until golden.
3. In same pot add butter and oil.
4. Add prepared masala paste and fry for 5-6 minutes.
5. Now add spices like chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
6. Now add curd. give a good mix.
7. Add 1 cup of water or as required to adjust the consistency.
8. Add some crushed kasuri methi. Mix well.
9. Now slowly add fried potatoes and mix well.
10. Cook on low heat for 8 – 10 min or until continue to fry till oil separates.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve dum aloo hot with rice, chapathi or naan.