Majjiga Pulusu or Majjiga Charu or Majjige Huli is a simple and easy to make rasam recipe yet tastes delicious. Majjiga is the whisked curd/yogurt aka Perugu in Telugu or Dahi in Hindi and thinned down just by adding water, i.e. buttermilk. Simple spices & chopped vegetables make this is an ideal rasam side dish very easy to make with the basic ingredients.
Majjiga Charu is packed with healthy spices, and vegetables like Cucumber, Bottle gourd, Carrot, and is so good for the digestion. Generally, sour curd is used to make this recipe to get a nice sour taste and the added spices make this a unique and tasty rasam recipe.
I’ve shared many rasam recipes and many with curd/yogurt in my blog and this is my goto recipe whenever I’ve extra curd.
Majjiga Pulusu is a common but popular recipe in the South Indian states of Andhra Pradesh & Telangana. Variations of this recipe are popular across India. Majjiga Charu is also called Majjige Huli in Karnataka, Mor Rasam, or Moz rasam in Tamilnadu & Kerala, Kadhi, or Kadi in north India.
You can add eggplant, snake gourd, bottle gourd, Spinach also to this recipe. This Majjige Huli or buttermilk rasam can be consumed as-is (similar to Raitha or plain buttermilk) or served with steamed rice and Papad or fryums.
Tips to make perfect Majjiga Charu
- Use sour curd made with full-fat milk that gives a rich creamy texture and nice flavor to the recipe
- Make the tempering/tadka with mustard seed oil gives a nice & strong flavor. Add Asafoetida/Hing, Turmeric powder, Cumin seeds, and other tempering ingredients, Green Chillies, and fresh Curry leaves.
- If you like the ginger flavor to enhance the taste, add a small piece of grated ginger to the majjiga charu or Majjige Huli.
Majjiga Pulusu Recipe | Buttermilk Rasam Step by Step Video
Majjiga Pulusu Recipe | Buttermilk Rasam Step by Step Recipe Card
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Majjiga pulusu with step by step :
- In a large bowl take 2 cups curd, ½ tsp salt and 1 cup water.
- Whisk well and prepare smooth buttermilk or majjiga.
- Add chopped 1/2 cup onion, chopped 1/2 cup tomatoes and mix well.
- In another pan heat 1 tsp oil, ½ tsp urad dal, ½ tsp chana dal, ½ tsp cumin, 1 dried red chilli, 2 green chilies, and a few curry leaves.
- saute and splutter tempering.
- Now add ¼ tsp turmeric and saute until the raw flavor is gone.
- Transfer the tempering over buttermilk and mix well.
- Garnish with Cilantro and enjoy this yummy majjiga pulusu or majjige huli or mor rasam with hot steamed rice.