Ulli Garelu recipe – Garelu, Uddina vade, ulundhu vadai, medu vada are the south Indian names for the donut-shaped deep-fried fritters. These are one of the very popular south Indian foods served for Breakfast or Snacks or during festivals.
Usually, they are made by soaking and grinding urad dal. Then they are shaped into donuts and deep-fried. They are served with coconut chutney and sambar.
For anyone that on a vegetarian diet regime, one of the important nutrients to get for the body is protein. And urad dal is the richest source of proteins and vitamin B. Urad dal is also beneficial for women as it contains magnesium, potassium, calcium which is very essential for women’s healthy pulse. Also, it is good for anyone with diabetes and is also good for men’s sexual problems.
ULLI GARELU | ONION MEDU VADA | RECIPE VIDEO
ULLI GARELU | ONION MEDU VADA | RECIPE CARD
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Ulli Garelu with Step by Step
- Soak the Urad dal for 4 – 5 hours .
2. Grind the soaked dal into smooth batter by adding adding salt, ginger and little cold water.
3. It should not be runny and more thick.
4. Add chopped onions, coriander leaves, chilies, cumin seeds and salt.
5. Mix well
6. Heat the oil in a frying pan in medium flame.
7. Wet your palms and take a lemon size batter.
8. Make hole in the center and slide it into the hot oil.
9. Carefully drop into hot oil.
10. The vada should float to top.
11. Make sure your oil is not too hot. otherwise the vadas would not cook evenly.
12. Fry on both sides till it becomes golden brown in colour.
13. Serve Onion vada hot with chutney or sambar.