INSTANT POT PUDINA RICE (MINT RICE) with detailed photo and video recipe – you are going to love this bright and fresh mint rice ! It’s aromatic, flavorful and just look at that pretty green hue!
Mint Rice also known as Pudina rice is a fragrant one pot rice recipe with the freshness of mint leaves, some kick from green chilies, garlic and ginger made in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker or Stove top.This is a very simple and easy rice dish perfect for lunchboxes or weeknight dinners.
It’s a light dish that’s decently spiced and potentially spicy depending on how much green chili you use. It’s naturally gluten-free and vegan too – a dish almost anyone can enjoy.
WHAT IS PUDINA RICE
Pudina rice is mint flavored rice usually cooked as a one-pot meal along with Indian spices. We usually call it as pudina pulao or mint pulao as this is mildly spiced, unlike biryani.
This delicious and flavorful dish is made extensively in South India. Different states have different names like pudina bath, pudina pulav, pudina rice, etc. All the states have a similar recipe with just one or two changes in the ingredients.
Mint rice is really easy to make because there isn’t as much sautéing involved. You blend a bunch of ingredients together to create a mint paste. Then you heat up oil and whole spices and sauté the mint for just a few minutes. Dump in the rest of the ingredients and wait for the pressure cooker to do it’s thang.
I love adding mint/pudina in my daily cooking ,it not only flavors up the dish but also is refreshing.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH MINT/ PUDINA RICE?
You can serve Pudina Rice along with plain yogurt or raita.
INSTANT POT PUDINA RICE (MINT RICE) video recipe :
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make mint rice in instant pot with step by step:
1.Soak basmathi rice for 20 mins
INSTANT POT METHOD:
1.Grind together green chilies, garlic pod, ginger, coriander leaves/cilantro, mint/pudina and cumin seeds to a smooth paste with little water and keep aside.
2. Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot.Add oil and butter, once it’s hot add cumin seeds and whole spices and saute for another 30 secs.
3. Next add onions and saute till they turn translucent.
4. next add blend mint-coriander mixture and turmeric ,saute for 2-3 minutes till raw smell of ginger garlic disappears.
5. Finally add salt, soaked rice, water and stir well.
6. Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.Close the lid on the pot, and turn valve from VENTING to SEALING position.
7. Set the pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK (High Pressure) and set timer to 6 minutes.When the instant pot beeps, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure manually. If you do not have time then do Quick Pressure Release(QR) Manually.
9. Remove lid away from you and add fried cashew nuts for garnish and mix well.
10. Mint Rice is ready and serve hot with yogurt or raita.