veg dum biryani | hyderabadi veg biryani recipe | restaurant style hyderabadi veg dum biryani with detailed photo and video recipe – It is a delicious medley of succulent vegetables, spices, ghee, saffron and flavorful basmati rice which no one can resist. The best part is you can make a great restaurant style vegetable biryani at home easily.
Did you know that Biryani is actually a Persian word and it’s a dish that was brought to us by the Mughals?
Even our very own Hyderabadi biryani has its strong Mughlai and Iranian influences, but nevertheless this rich and aromatic layered dish coupled with a few accompaniments makes for a delightful afternoon lunch or dinner.
A rather elaborate recipe that requires you to marinate the vegetables and layer it with rice.
Just the aroma of ghee being combined with spices and herbs wafting in the air will tickle your taste buds.
Today I present to you an authentic recipe of the Hyderabadi dum biryani with a vegetarian twist, Hyderabadi Veg Biryani.
The use of vegetables instead of meat gives this a lighter and more exuberant taste.
Traditionally the dum style biryani is slow cooked in a handi and covered completely so that no steam is allowed to escape.
Hyderabadi veg biryani recipe video
This is what gives its unique taste and royal flavor.
Made using vegetables that are cooked with some aromatic spices, later layered with saffron infused basmati rice.
For me cooking this rice delicacy is just incredibly satisfying, it’s one dish that requires some effort but the results are nothing short of delightful.
It’s an extremely popular rice dish that is enjoyed by everyone, trust me when I say this, but there are very few people out there who won’t like to indulge in it.
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make hyderbadi veg dum biryani with step by step
cooking rice for biryani:
1.In a large vessel boil 8 cups water along with 2 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon stick, ½ tsp cloves, 1 star anise, ½ tsp pepper, 2 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
2. add 1½ basmati rice, soaked for 20 minutes. stir well.
3. boil for 10 minutes or till the rice is 80% cooked. do not cook the rice completely, as it will get cooked in dum while preparing biryani.
4. drain off the water and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. keep aside.
Cooking biryani gravy
1.In a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee.
2. add 2 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 star anise, 2 cardamom, 1 tsp shah jeera. saute till the spices turn aromatic.
3. add 1 finely chopped onion and saute well.
4. add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute.
5. add 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrot, gobi, peas, potato, beans) and saute for 2 minutes.
6. add 1 cup curd, 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp biryani masala powder,1 tsp coriander powder 1 tsp salt . miX well.
7. add 1 cup water, 1 tsp chopped mint and 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves. cover and cook for 15 minutes.
8. cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
9. biryani gravy is ready.
layering veg dum biryani recipe:
1.In a thick bottomed deep vessel spread in a layer of prepared biryani gravy.
2.layer with cooked rice.
3. spread few chopped mint, coriander, fried onions .
4. Next layer, spread biryani gravy.
5. layering with cooked rice, saffron milk, fried cashew nuts ,fried onions and biryani masala.
6. top with a tbsp of ghee, mint and coriander.
7. close and seal with aluminium foil.
8. simmer for 15 minutes.
9. serve hyderabadi dum biryani with raita or mirchi ka salan.