Besan ladoo | besan ladoo recipe | besan ke laddu with detailed photo and video recipe –
Besan Ladoo is one of the most popular Indian sweets.
Made with gram flour, sugar and ghee, this dessert requires only a handful of ingredients but tastes amazing!
Festivals are incomplete without sweets and in India festivals are incomplete without ladoos.
Ladoo, an Indian sweet can be made using various ingredients and is round in shape.
We make ladoos out of so many ingredients, there’s motichoor ladoo, aata ladoo, coconut ladoo, rava ladoo, this ladoo, that ladoo and this list is endless.
Out of all these amazing ladoos, besan ladoo is my absolute favorite.
What is Besan Ladoo
Besan Ladoo is a round dessert ball made with gram flour which is called besan in Hindi and hence the name.
Flour is roasted with ghee (clarified butter) and then sugar is added and then it’s shaped into round balls.
Nuts and raisins can be added. Some people also add sooji (rava/semolina) to the besan for the crunch.
It is definitely my favorite ladoo and also one of my favorite sweets ever.
Tips to Make Besan Ladoo
So, the ingredient list to make these ladoos is pretty small but here are few things to keep in mind!
Roast the besan properly: the most crucial thing to keep in mind while making besan ladoo is to make sure the besan is roasted well.
It will take time and you will need to have lot of patience.
Do not rush this step! If you don’t roast the besan properly, the ladoos will taste bitter and raw.
And how would you know that besan is roasted? You will be able to tell from the aroma and also the color of the besan will change to a golden-ish hue.
Also, the besan turns into a smooth paste once it’s cooked.
But don’t over roast it either else you will burn it.
Keep the heat on low at all times: equally important is to keep the heat to low at all times. If the heat is high, the besan will turn brown and even burn while still being raw.
Keep stirring continuously: yes, this recipe is a good hand workout. You need to stir continuously as you roast, which will be around 20 to 25 minutes! But the end result will be worth it, trust me!
Let the roasted besan cool down before adding sugar: once the besan has roasted let it cool down for at least 15 minutes before adding the sugar.
If you add the sugar while besan is still warm, the sugar will melt and loosen up the mixture and you won’t be able to bind the ladoos.
And that’s about it. If you keep these things in mind, you will end up with good homemade Besan Ladoos.
They are truly my favorite sweets to make and I make them every single Diwali or any for any other festival for that matter.
Besan ladoo detailed video recipe :
Besan ladoo recipe card
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Besan Ladoo with step by step :
1.Sieve the 1 cup besan and keep aside.
2. Add 1 tbsp ghee to a frying pan.roast on low flame until the nuts turn crunchy.Keep them aside.
3. In a large kadai heat 1/4 cup ghee and add 1 cup besan.
4. Roast on low flame until the besan is well combined with ghee.
5. continue to roast on low flame, if the mixture turns dry, add a tbsp of more ghee.
6. After 10 minutes, the besan starts to release ghee.
7. Continue to roast until the besan turns golden brown and grainy. it may take approximately 20 minutes.
8. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, allowing to cool slightly.
9. Take 1/2 cup sugar, few saffron strands and 2 pods cardamom in a blender.
10. Blend to a fine powder without adding any water.
11. once the besan is cooled (slightly warm) add in powdered sugar.
12. Add the roasted nuts to roasted besan ghee mixture.
13. mix well making sure everything is well combined. do not add sugar if the mixture is hot, as it will melt the sugar and makes mixture watery.
14. prepare a ball sized ladoo adjusting sugar as required.
15. Enjoy besan ladoo for 2 weeks in an airtight container.