Bhindi Masala is a popular Indian dish made with okra, onion, tomatoes & spices! Okra or bhindi as it’s called in Hindi is a very popular vegetable in India. Bhindi Masala is one of those few recipes enjoyed across India especially in the Dhabas with tandoor (clay oven) naan or roti.
Benefits of Bhindi (Okra)
Okra is not just a tasty vegetable. It comes packed with some amazing health benefits as well.
- Rich in folic acid and vitamin B6
- low-calorie vegetable
- half cup of raw okra has only about 16 calories
You can cook Okra in many ways in Indian cuisine. It usually is a veggie side served as a part of a meal, served with dals and curries.
Bhindi masala is a healthy dish made of okra, spices, onions, and tomatoes. This semi-dry curry made with ladies finger or okra goes very well with rice or roti. It is mildly spicy, hot, and full of flavors that come from the pan. You can enjoy this delicious bhindi masala for lunch or dinner or even in the lunch box.
Bhindi Masala Recipe Video
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Okra Masala with Step by Step
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Saute bhindi on a medium flame.
- Bhindi will not be sticky once its cooked
- Transfer them to a plate and set aside
- In same pan, add cumin, garlic, mustard seeds, hing, and curry leaves
- Add onions and salt
- Saute onions until they turn golden
- Add tomatoes puree
- Add curd mix well.
- Stir in turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder
- Check the salt and adjust as needed.
- Add fried Bhindi.
- Cook on low heat until bhindi turns slightly tender and the aroma comes out.
- Serve bhindi masala with warm roti or rice.