Modak – are sweet stuffed dumplings offered to Lord Ganesha as Prasad during Ganesh Chaturthi puja. These made with steamed rice flour dough, stuffed with aromatic and sweet Chana dal, jaggery, cardamom . We can do different types of Modak and Stuffing. Today I have prepared basic version regularly for festival we prepared at home.
These Modaks are offered to Lord Ganesh and made especially during the ten-day celebration of the Ganesha festival which starts this week. There are literally dozens of ways to make a modak.
Vinayaka Chaturthi or Ganesh Chaturthi is a festival celebrating the birth of Lord Ganesha. It is said that the Lord loves modak so these are made in evey home celebrating this special day.
Modaks can be made with different filling like coconut jiggery, sesame jaggery , dal jaggery or peanut jaggery. The filling is also made according to the family tranditions.
Today I have made dal jaggery for stuffing
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Modak with Step by Step :
1.Cook chana dal with water in pressure cooker for 4 -5 whistles. The dal must still hold shape and when mashed it must turn soft. Drain off the dal in a colander.
2.Add dal and ghee fry pan
3. Mash the dal to smooth mixture. We can also blend the mixture in a blender too.
4. Add jaggery to a mashed dal. Mix them well.
5. Cook till the water evaporates completely and the dal looks dry and comes together.
6. When it cools down make small sized balls.
For Outer layer
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add salt and 1 tsp ghee.
2. Turn the heat to low and add the rice flour. Mix it well with a spoon. Cook covered for 2-3 mins on low heat.Turn the heat off and pour the dough in a mixing bowl and let it cool.
3. Knead the rice dough using 1 tsp of ghee and 1-2 tbsp of warm water for 10 mins until the dough is soft and moist.
4. Make lemon sized balls with the dough and keep aside.
- Apply little oil or ghee on the inside of the mold. Close the mold and spread the rice dough inside the mold and start shaping it around gently with your fingers.Some of the dough will also come outside of the mold which will be used to seal the modak. Gently put about 1 tsp of stuffing inside the mold. Seal the bottom with the extra dough that is outside of the mold.
2. Gently open the mold and put the modak in the steamer. Repeat this for rest of the modak.
3. Place saffraon strands on top
- Start heating some water in the steamer pot. Once all the modak are ready, put the steaming rack inside the steamer pot and cook covered for 10 mins on low to medium heat.
2. Turn the heat off, let the modak cool for 5 mins. Gently remove them from the steaming rack onto a plate. Enjoy!