Chavithi Kudumulu or Undrallu recipe | Kudumulu | Vinayaka chavithi prasadam recipes are steamed rice balls made during vinayaka chavithi or ganesh Chaturthi. These are also offered to goddess varalakshmi during varalakshmi puja and goddess Durga during Navrathi.
What are Kudumulu ?
Kudumulu are steamed rice balls made of rice flour for rava. There are 2 different versions of making these – sweet and salted.
To make undrallu, homemade rice rava works best .You can check this detailed post on how to Make Rice Rava
This undrallu can be made using chana dal. Very simple and easy to prepare and are absolutely healthy as they are steamed.
If you do have enough time to make your own rava at home, then you can use store bought but the quantity of water to use varies.
The taste and texture of undrallu depends on the kind of rice used. Preferred one is aged rice.
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Undrallu or Kudumulu with Step by Step :
Preparation – making rice rava
- Wash rice a few times and dry on a cloth
2. When the rice is completely dry, pour it to a blender jar and pluse it a few times to get coarse grains or rava.
3. You can make it as fine or coarse as you like.
4. Sieve to remove any flour from rava.
5. Dry this completely and store in a jar.
How to make Kudumulu – Undrallu
6. Wash and soak chana dal in water for 20 mins. Drain off and set aside.
7. Heat ghee in a pan. Add dal. Fry for 2 to 3 mins
8. Pour water and add salt. Bring it to a boil.
9. Measure 1 cup rava and pour it to the boiling water.
10. Mix well to prevent lumps.
11. Cook till the water fully evaporates.
12. Cover the pan with lid and simmer the stove for 2 mins or until the water evaporates completely. Switch off the stove.
13. Leave it covered for about 15 minutes. Next transfer this to a wide plate and cool.
14. Grease your palms and make balls with the dough.
15. Arrange them in a plate.
Steaming kudumulu or undrallu
16. Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a pressure cooker or idli steamer.
17. Arrange the prepared undrallu in greased plate and place into steamer.
18. When the water begins to boil, steam them for 8 mins on a high flame.
19. Remove from pan and put in to a plate.
20. Cook kudumulu and offer to God Vinayaka