onion tomato chutney recipe | tomato onion chutney for rice with detailed photo and video recipe- A popular south indian chutney recipe. It is prepared for breakfast, but it can also be served as side dish for lunch with steamed rice and tastes amazing ghee rice combination.
This vegan south Indian tomato chutney is easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. This recipe of tomato chutney is one of my favorites. It’s simple and goes well with so many things!
India is a country of spices, achar (pickle) and chutney. There are way too many chutneys and everyone has their own way of making them.
Each south indian house hold may have a different recipe made to suit their taste and liking. Traditionally tomato chutney was made by crushing roasted tomates, garlic, chilies, tamarind , cumin and salt in a mortat pestle.
Most south indian house holds enjoy a variety of chutneys with every meal and snack. We telugu speaking people make spicy hot chutney with almost every seasonal vegetable.
Our meal is incomplete without having a chutney. Tomato chutney is one of them.
This recipe is a combination of 2 vegetables, i.e onion and tomato which brings out tangy with sharp pungent taste chutney. In this recipe i have cutted all tomatoes and onions into very big pieces. I don’t want onions cooked more. I want onions should be crunchy. So while grinding i didn’t do smooth paste, just make it very rough . So that we can enjoy the pieces of onion in the middle. This chutney we love to eat for steamed rice with ghee. For idly or dosa we needs to make smooth paste.
Tomato chutney can be made ahead and refrigerated for 2 days. A tadka or tempering to the refrigerated chutney brings back freshness to the chutney.
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Onion Tomato Chutney with step by step :
1.In a large kadai heat 2 tsp of oil and saute 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 garlic pods and 5 green chilies to golden brown.
2. Add 2 tomato,salt and add tamarind.
3. cook till tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
4. Add chopped onions, salt and cook for 2 more mins with lid closed. (Don’t over cook the onions, it should be crunchy. For making for idly or dosa, cook onions soft. We need chutney should be soft for idly and dosa. For rice it should be crunchy. )
5. Cool the mixture completely.
6. Transfer to the blender and blend to coarse paste.
7. Now prepare the tempering by heating 2 tsp oil.
8. Add in 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp chand dal, 2 dried red chilli, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and few curry leaves. allow to splutter.
9. pour the tempering over chutney.
10. Serve with steamed rice.