Easy Hummus Recipe (Better Than Store-Bought) with detailed photo and video recipe – This is my favorite hummus recipe! With a few simple tricks, you really can make creamy smooth homemade hummus and yes, we really do think it’s better than store-bought.
How To Make Smooth Hummus from Scratch
Simple hummus recipe that we honestly believe is better than anything we could have found at the store. Bonus it’s made with real and healthy ingredients, plus it is vegan!
What is Hummus?
Hummus is a delicious spread or dip made from chickpeas, tahini, lemon, and spices. It’s commonly eaten in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Here in the US, you can find store-bought versions at the grocery store, but we think you should skip those and make your own. Let me show you how!
Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are the base for hummus. The softened beans breakdown into a smooth paste. You can use canned or home-cooked chickpeas in our recipe. I use them interchangeably and give home-cooked chickpeas a slight edge when it comes to the flavor.
How to Cook Dried Chickpeas :
COOK CHICKPEAS – PRESSURE COOKER
- Soak the beans 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- If using a pressure cooker, add 1 cup of soaked chickpeas and 4 cups of water to the pressure cooker. Seal the lid and cook on 5-6 whistles, and then naturally release for 10 minutes.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds and it makes the hummus taste incredible. You can buy tahini at the store or you can make it yourself. To make hummus that’s 100% from scratch, we use homemade tahini. Here’s our tahini recipe with a video showing how to make it. It lasts up to a month in your refrigerator and our recipe makes enough tahini for two batches of hummus.
Fresh lemon juice is really important for excellent hummus. Bottled lemon juice does not taste nearly as good.
Fresh garlic adds a little spice and zest. I add one small clove and find it’s just right. You can also experiment with using roasted garlic for a roasted garlic hummus.
Ground cumin and salt help to make it taste amazing and the cumin adds a little more spice and richness.
Olive oil makes the texture of the hummus luxurious. We also add a little drizzle to the top of the swirly hummus when we serve it. I really like using fruity, light flavored olive oils when making hummus.
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Hummus with Step by Step :
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini,minced garlic and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds more. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making the hummus smooth and creamy.
2. Add the olive oil, half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl.
3. Then add remaining chickpeas ,salt, cumin powder and process until thick and quite smooth; 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Serve hummus with a drizzle of olive oil and dash of paprika.
5. Store homemade hummus in an airtight container and refrigerate up to one week.