Indian Tutti Frutti from Watermelon Rind | Home made Tutti frutti recipe from watermelon peel with detailed photo and video recipe – a colorful confectionery made from various candied fruits.
In India, Tutti Frutti means artificially colored candied raw papaya which is completely different from Western world Tutti Frutti. Throughout India it’s widely used in bakery items like cookies, buns, cakes & so on. My eagerness to make tutti frutti at home dropped when i knew that it’s made from raw papaya. Because it’s hard to source them here and also it takes years for me to finish off all the tutti frutti made from one whole raw papaya. Never used raw papaya in my cooking therefore don’t know what else to make
What is watermelon rind?? It’s nothing but the white part in between the peel and pink flesh part. That’s totally edible and also understood recently that it can also be used in making dosa, chutney, curries apart from this tutti frutti. Never tried any of those recipe, if tried, let you guys know.
Ok, coming to the recipe, it’s such a simple & easy recipe. Don’t throw away the left over part of watermelon after eating the pink flesh. That’s all you need to make this awesome tutti frutti. Totally amazed by the output when i had tried first time!! Hardly noticed any difference in taste & texture !! Now let’s check out how to make tutti frutti from watermelon rind.
Tutti Frutti from Watermelon Rinds Recipe Video
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Tutti frutti with watermelon rind step by step :
1.Take the watermelon rind and peel the skin and try to remove all the pink flesh part(if there is any left).’
2. Cut them into stripes and later into small cubes.
3. Take wide pan add 1 cup water and boil.
4. Add chopped watermelon rind pieces and boil for 5 – 8 mins (until 50% done). Strain and keep them aside.
5. In a sauce pan, add the sugar and water & put it on the flame.
6. Once the sugar is all melted, add the watermelon rind . Let it comes to boil and keep the flame in low and simmer for 8- 10 mins.
7. Remove from the flame and let it cool a bit. The watermelon rinds look transparent when it’s cooked. add vanilla essence and mix well.
8. Divide the cooked watermelon rind into three equal bowl.
9. Add few drops of food colors(i have used yellow, red and green) in each bowl & mix it well.Let it sit aside for 1 hr.
10. Then drain the excess sugar syrup and spread it on plate and let it dry completely.
11. When it dries, it shrink its size.
12. Tutti Frutti is ready. Store it in air tight container for future use. It can be used in all types of sweet bakery items