Mango Pickle |Avakaya Pachadi Recipe (Andhra Mango Pickle) with detailed photo and video recipe – It is one of the most commonly made condiment in indian homes. Each region has a different recipe, style or way of making it. Avakaya is a popular pickle variety from Andhra, a cuisine well known for its hot and spicy foods.
Easy and BEST recipe of avakaya pachadi. This is nothing but the Andhra style mango pickle recipe. This is tangy, spicy and completely irresistible! Here you will learn all the tips and tricks to preserve it for a year.
Meaning Of Avakaya Pachadi?
‘Ava’=mustard (it is one of the main ingredients) and ‘kaya’=raw fruit (in this case raw mangoes). ‘Pachadi’=fresh pickle.In short, avakaya or avakai means the Andhra style mango pickle.
Preparation For Andhra Mango Pickle Recipe:
- you need to start the preparation a day or two before. Wash the glass jar in which you are going to store the pickle. Let it dry out completely. You can keep under the sunlight for 1-2 hour. You need to make sure that there is no moisture in the jar.
- Also, wash and dry the grinder jar, mixing spoon and bowl. Keep them under the sunlight for an hour or two to dry out completely.
- Wash the raw mangoes really well and wipe it dry. Place them on a kitchen towel and let it dry out completely for about 40-50 minutes.
Tips To Preserve The Avakaya For A Year:
Hygiene and cleanliness are very important while making avakaya. Always clean the work surface, utensils and storing jar. Make sure everything is moisture free.
It is also important to clean and dry your hands as well.
If making a big batch of avakaya pickle then do not open that big jar frequently. Instead, remove the portion (1 week or two worth) in a small jar. This way the flavor, color of the avakaya pachadi stays intact. Also, it helps to maintain/increase the shelf life.
Always use the clean and dry spoon to remove the pickle.
Do not reduce the amount of salt and oil. Those two act as a preservative to keep it for a year. If there is not enough oil, pickle may get spoilt and you may see fungus growing on top.
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Mango pickle with step by step :
1.Wash and dry the glass jar, mixing vessels, spoon, grinder jar and work surface. If possible, sundry them for 1-2 hours.
2. Wash and dry the mangoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
3. Grind the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds into powder.
Making Avakaya Recipe:
1.Add mango pieces into mixing bowl.
2. Add garlic pods
3. Add mustard powder, fenugreek powder, red chili powder and salt in a bowl, mix well.
4. Add oil and mix well.
5. Transfer it to a glass jar, cover with the lid and let it mature for 2 days.
6. After 2 days oil should be floating on top. If not then add more oil as needed.
7. Taste the pickle and add little more salt if needed. Wait till the next day to check .
8. Do not skip the salt and oil, the act as natural preservatives to preserve pickle for a year. If there is not enough oil or salt, pickle may get spoil.
9. You will get to see this yummy hot spicy mango pickle ready.