Mushroom masala is a delicious Indian curry made with mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, and spices. The mushroom masala is one of the best I have been making at home to serve with roti and chapati. It is quite simple to make and tastes delicious. We love rice or gravy recipes that are packed with flavors.
In this recipe, we need some prep work like making an onion paste and tomato paste, which can be easily done in a mixer or blender. Fresh yogurt/curd is also added to this recipe. If you don’t like yogurt just avoid and you can also use tamarind paste to get that sour/tangy flavor.
How to Clean Mushrooms
For all mushrooms: Use a damp paper towel or a soft mushroom brush to wipe each mushroom, one at a time, to remove any dirt. We can lightly rinse the mushrooms with cool water and pat dry with paper towels but do not soak the mushrooms. Because they absorb water like sponges and mushrooms won’t brown nicely when cooked if they are full of water.
How to Cut Mushrooms
- After cleaning mushrooms, trim thin slices from the ends of the stems.
- Using a sharp knife cut the mushrooms into halves or quarters, or slice or chop as needed.
Mushroom Masala Gravy Curry Recipe Video
Mushroom Masala Gravy Curry Recipe Card
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make Mushroom Masala Curry with Step by Step
- Blend onion, garlic and ginger into smooth paste and set aside
2. Blend tomatoes into smooth paste and set aside.
3. Heat oil and butter in a pan.
4. Sauté bay leaf, cinnamon, clove and star anise for a minute.
5. Pour the onion paste and fry until raw smell is gone.
6. Pour tomato paste and cook until the mixture thickens.
7. Then add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
8. Sauté on a low heat until the mixture thick.
9. While the mixture cooks, rinse and slice the mushrooms.
10. When onion tomato masala leaves the edges of the pan, the add yogurt and mix well.
11. Add sliced mushrooms, water and salt.
12. Cook on medium heat with lid covered.
13. Add kasuri methi and bring the mushroom gravy to a desired consistency.
14. Serve hot with roti or rice.