Red Chori Roti | Akki roti | Bobbarlu Roti with detailed photo and video recipe – it is prepared with soaked red chori and rice flour. Rice flour is made into soft dough using hot water. Red chori and other seasonings are mixed along with rice flour and spread into thick roti on a pan. The spread roti is fried on flat pan until lightly crisped and served hot with pickle.
Akki roti – Akki means rice and roti means flatbread. Akki Roti or Akki ki Roti or Akki Rotti is a popular South Indian recipe, especially in Karnataka and Andhra. It is made with rice flour, water, grated or chopped vegetables, and seasoned with green chilli & salt. These rice flour flatbreads are eaten for breakfast, as a snack, or as a meal.
Akki Roti is also called by various other names like Chawal Ki Roti, Rice Bhakri, Pathri, Rice Flour Rotli, Kottu Pindi Appalu (in Andhra – Kottu Pindi or Kottina Pindi is the flour from rice that’s washed, dried, and ground). These are usually served with favorite chutneys, like Coconut Chutney or peanut chutney, or with a spicy curry or spicy pickles like Tomato Chutney or Avakai ?
Red Chori Roti makes a great vegan and gluten free breakfast option. Made from rice flour, red chori and spices, the Akki Roti makes for an excellent tea time snack when you have sudden guests at home.
There are different variations and recipes to make akki roti. This recipe is a simple recipe which even beginners can follow and make delicious foolproof akki rotis. We have made these roti on a ziplog cover and then transferred the roti to the hot pan. You can even use banana leaves to make the roti on. Some people make them directly on a greased cast iron pan.
Red Chori Roti is gluten free, high protein, healthy roti for breakfast or even snack or dinner too. In my blog i already shared basic akki roti . Today i am sharing other variation of akki roti.
Do not use coarse rice flour as you may not be able to shape it with tapping. also, there might be cracks while roasting as it may not hold together.
Red chori roti video recipe :
Red chori recipe card :
Visit my other popular and related recipes collection like
How to make red chori roti with step by step :
1.Soak red chori in water overnight or 3 -4 hrs in hot water and refresh them under fresh water next morning.
2. Transfer into pressure cooker and add 1 cup water along with salt.
3. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.(Make sure they are not mushy )
4. In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, cooked red chori, green chillies,cumin seeds, cilantro and salt.
5. Add sufficient amount of hot water (red chori water) to the bowl and mix the mixture to form soft dough.
6. Knead with hands for best results. Use enough water to let the mixture come together.
7. Divide the dough into 2 – 3 portions.
8. Place flat pan on medium heat.
9. Before pan gets hot, take one portion of dough and place it on the pan.
10. Press the dough with help of fingers to spread it into a circle.
11. Drizzle half a tsp of oil on the roti and cook for 3 – 5 minutes.
12. Turn the roti on other side and cook for few more minutes.
13. When roti turns to light brown or when it gets to desired crispness, remove from heat
14. Serve red chori roti with any pickle of your choice.